Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Okay Ani,

I recently lost my job and lost my insurance coverage with it. Do I need to wait to get re-employed before I can get some good coverage or is my only option medicaid or something?

Thank you,

Pickle


Hi Pickle,

Thank you for writing. I'm so sorry to hear about your job loss. Please know that while Medicaid is a good option just so you're covered, you do have options other than Medicaid. If being covered is pretty urgent and you cannot wait until next year, there are some plans for under $100 that will cover you for a certain amount if you get sick or injured. Of course, if money is not an object, you can grab yourself a major medical plan from a private insurer right now. Or later, with the new government subsidies, you can take advantage of a private major medical plan and pay very little. Your subsidy will be based on your projected income and family size for next year. You can always update your income information during the year, this will adjust your subsidy amount and it will have to be reconciled with the numbers on your tax return. Does that make sense?

Be Well,

Ani

No comments:

Post a Comment